Webinar 2: Purging and Electrolytes.
By Dr Jennifer Gaudiani, Denver, USA
In this webinar, Dr. Gaudiani discusses important medical complications of purging, including types of purging used, electrolyte abnormalities, rebound edema, and physiologic effects of purging.
Email Jennifer Gaudiani with any questions: email@example.com
Learning objectives: By the end of today’s talk, the listener will:
- Identify the prevalence and associations of the different types of purging
- More clearly understand the variety of electrolyte abnormalities that can result from purging
- Recognize the risks of purging cessation and effectively manage them
- Winstead NS, Willard SG. Gastrointestinal complaints in patients with eating disorders. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2006;40(8):678–82.
- Brewerton TD, Dansky BS, O’Neil PM, Kilpatrick DG. The number of divergent purging behaviors is associated with histories of trauma, PTSD, and comorbidity in a national sample of women. Eat Disord. 2015;23(5):422-9
- Bahia A. Mascolo M. Gaudiani JL. Mehler PS. PseudoBartter syndrome in eating disorders. Int J Eat Disord 2012;45(1): 150-3
Dr. Gaudiani is the Founder and Medical Director of the Gaudiani Clinic. Board Certified in Internal Medicine, she completed her undergraduate degree at Harvard, medical school at Boston University School of Medicine, and her internal medicine residency and chief residency at Yale, where she won numerous clinical awards. Dr. Gaudiani moved to Denver in 2007. She helped start the ACUTE Center for Eating Disorders at Denver Health in its current form, as the nation’s top medical stabilization center for adults with eating disorders too medically compromised to receive care in a mental health setting. After seven great years there, she left as its Medical Director to pursue her vision of outpatient care, founding the Gaudiani Clinic. During her years at ACUTE, Dr. Gaudiani became a nationally recognized internist for her work on the medical complications of eating disorders.
She has lectured nationally and internationally and is widely published in the scientific literature as well as on blogs. She is a current member of the editorial board of the International Journal of Eating Disorders and and the Academy for Eating Disorders Medical Care Standards Committee and is a former board member of iaedp (International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals). Dr. Gaudiani is one of the only outpatient internists in the US who carries the Certified Eating Disorder Specialist designation and has received the honorable designation of Fellow from the international organization Academy for Eating Disorders.