In March and April 2020, the Australian Government introduced temporary MBS telehealth items to ensure continued access to essential Medicare-rebated consultation services during the pandemic.
From July 2021 there will be some changes to the MBS COVID telephone items for Eating Disorder Treatment and Management Plan creation.
What is changing?
From 1 July 2021, GP and OMP telephone items will be streamlined to align with how they are commonly used by providers and expert advice on the use of telephone-based services.
This means that the broad range of telephone services established in response to the COVID-19 pandemic will be replaced with a smaller number of MBS items:
- a short consultation item (less than six minutes) for straightforward care, such as repeat prescriptions and diagnostic referrals; and
- a longer telephone consultation item (six minutes and over) for more complex attendances. Note: the new telephone items for GPs and OMPs do not trigger patient access to Medicare subsidised follow up services.
These changes do not impact all telephone and telehealth items related to eating disorders:
- The Plan review items via phone will remain the same.
- Longer telephone items for mental health treatment will continue to be available until 31 December 2021, to ensure timely access to essential mental health service.
- GP video items will continue to mirror items for face-to-face services.
How can I find out more?
Visit mbsonline for factsheets that outline the changes made and the full list of items (telehealth and telephone) available post 1 July 2021 via provider group.
You can also review the eight items that will be repealed under subgroup 22 (pg 42-44) in the Health Insurance Legislation Amendment (Section 3C General Medical Services – Medicare Indexation and Extension of Remote Service Options) Determination 2021.
For more information about COVID-19 for health professionals visit the ANZAED website.
If you have any trouble accessing the information you need or have questions, please reach out to us at email@example.com.